Merit is Building a Secure Federation for our Members
Merit Michigan ID provides a framework based on federated identity that enables participating organizations to provide access to shared resources, applications, and content. Merit Michigan ID leverages the relationships that already exist within the Merit Community.
What is Merit Michigan ID?
- Single Sign On (SSO) across multiple applications, resources and organizational boundaries
- Trusted, Secure Infrastructure—no sensitive info (password / personal data) passed over the network
- Easy to Share Services between Merit Members, the Merit Michigan ID improves collaboration amongst the users in the Merit community
How it works?
Merit Michigan ID matches with:
- Merit Michigan ID uses SAML, an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between security domains, or between an Identity Provider and a Security Provider.
- Active Directory / LDAP Integration means control remains with Member organization.
- Merit will create a VirtualDataCenter and bring up an identity provider to host participating organizations' Identity Providers upon request for an additional fee.
- Merit Professional Services are available for organizations needing assistance in bringing up an Identity Provider on their own.
- Merit facilitates the relationship between Service Providers and Identity Providers.
- Service Providers - organizations that provide services that can be shared
- Identity Providers - organizations that would like to share a service provided by another organization
Benefits of Merit Michigan ID
For Students, Educators and End Users:
For IT Staff
- Single ID and password to remember
- Personal data is protected and secure
- Share access to mission critical resources and content across organizations
For the CFO:
- More robust, secure Identity Management
- Eliminate redundant security principals and data for every organizational relationship
- Reduce administrative workload
- Reduce access-related support costs
- Share Services, Cut Costs, Collaborate with other organizations in Michigan
Shared Wireless access:
- University to University, Community College to Undergrad, Students beginning a Graduate Degree
- All Keep their original Log in and Password
- Nothing new to administer
Students, faculty and staff can log into secure Internet access from any Member campus, with the same Log in and Password they would use on their own campus.
Researchers from multiple institutions can securely share access to systems, data sources and content providers, without additional credentialing and authentication.
Web Single Sign On:
Users can move between applications at their own institution or other Member institution with ease, all with a single Log in and Password.
Members may view pricing options and request the service in the Member Portal. You may also request a quote by contacting Merit Services by email at
or by calling 734-527-5785.
For more information about Merit Michigan ID, email us at or call 734-527-5785.